Public service workers in Philadelphia, PA and across the country submitted questions for 2020
presidential candidates. Now, on Saturday, August 3, we want to know if you want to gather to hear candidates’ responses at a local watch party of the Public Service Forum hosted by the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) and moderated by HuffPost.
Eighteen presidential candidates are expected, including former Vice President Joe Biden, Sen. Cory
Booker, Gov. Steve Bullock, Mayor Pete Buttigieg, former HUD Secretary Julián Castro, Mayor Bill de
Blasio, former Rep. John Delaney, Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, Sen. Kamala Harris, Gov. Jay Inslee, Sen. Amy
Klobuchar, Rep. Seth Moulton, former Rep. Beto O’Rourke, Rep. Tim Ryan, Sen. Bernie Sanders, business
leader and philanthropist Tom Steyer, Sen. Elizabeth Warren and author Marianne Williamson.
This forum will give candidates the opportunity to speak directly with America’s public service workers
who will make their voices heard in this election. As they dedicate their lives to making our communities
stronger, safer and healthier, they have a unique perspective into solving the problems Americans face
So, how about attending or sponsoring a watch party at noon on August 3 for this event.
Call DC 47 VP Ethelind Baylor at 215-893-3761 for more information.
Sisters and Brothers working at the American Friends Service Committee had their meeting at Friends Center.
Welcome America has designed a new layout for the July 4th Party on the Parkway and July 4th Concert & Fireworks which will offer families and guests an enhanced experience. The Benjamin Franklin Parkway will now feature dedicated entry points and a perimeter that will allow guests to enter in a smooth, more orderly fashion, then roam freely to experience all the iconic Party on the Parkway has to offer.
“Spending the day with us on the Parkway will be better than ever before; we are really excited to have our guests take advantage of this expanded layout,” explained Welcome America, Inc. President & CEO Michael DelBene.
All entrances will be open from noon until 9 p.m. Guests are highly encouraged to enter through the Main Welcome Gates at Logan Circle. Other entry points include:
- 20th Street & the Parkway from both the north and south sides
- 21st Street & the Parkway from both the north and south sides
- 23rd Street & Pennsylvania Avenue north side
Entry signage will be clearly visible at all gates, and Wawa Welcome America Ambassadors will be on hand to help guests find their way.
Party on the Parkway runs from noon to 7 p.m. on Thursday, July 4th and is followed by the July 4th Concert and Fireworks from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Once guests enter the Parkway, they will be able to roam freely and experience all that Philadelphia’s iconic July 4th party has to offer from food and drink, to games and rides, to entertainment. This year’s enhanced family-friendly experience includes the free PECO Kids’ Zone featuring a zip-line, acrobatic dunkers, bungee jumping, games, arts & crafts, storytelling, face painting, and much more.
As always, guests are permitted to bring picnics and small personal coolers. A full list of prohibited items can be found on welcomeamerica.com/guides.
There will be many food and beverage options available for purchase, and for the 21+ crowd, Welcome America has partnered with VISIT PHILADELPHIA® to feature craft beers from Philadelphia and the surrounding counties along the Parkway.
Entertainment options abound with four stages of music, dance, and more!
- For the second year, The Chill Moody Music Stage is back on the Parkway on July 4th! This music experience curated by Philadelphia Music Ambassador/Recording Artist Chill Moody, kicks off at noon and runs until 7 p.m. “My goal this year, as always, is to spotlight some of Philly’s rising stars, mix in some love from out of town, and provide an experience I’m sure everyone in attendance will enjoy,” says Chill Moody who will also be performing music from his forthcoming Horns At The Funeral album.
- The Multicultural Stage will feature multiple culturally diverse dance acts from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Philly area bands will jam on the PA Lottery Philly Groove Stage from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Visit the SugarHouse Casino Freedom Stage for performances of street dance theater, magic, a dance party with DJ Diamond Kuts of iHeartRadio’s Power 99, and The U.S. Navy Band Cruisers from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.